Friday, December 03, 2010

Tidbits about Atakan

I've been wanting to share some funny stories about Atakan, so I though I'd do it all in one post. This week Atakan got a cough/cold. He never had a fever, just a runny nose and cough. Wednesday night was a particularly hard night for him and he woke up coughing for nearly an hour. I got up, gave him cough medicine, rubbed Vick's on his feet and chest, and got him a drink. He was still coughing. I felt bad for him so I asked him, "Atakan, do you want Mommy to stay with you?" He responded (mind you this is at 1am), "No Mom, go your own bed!" It just cracked me up!

Every morning when Atakan wakes up he comes to the living room and instructs me to turn on "my channel." His channel is a 24 hour Playhouse Disney that I think comes from the UK, but anyways, it's the only channel I turn on during the day when the kids are up. I know they would probably like the other channels and cartoons, but so many of them have violence (like fighting etc.) and commercials. Then all I get to hear is, "Mom, let's go to the store. I want to buy that!" So, Playhouse Disney is the choice for me. Yes, it gets a little annoying after a while, but it's the lesser of the evils! Well, our Playhouse Disney can be turned on in Turkish or English. It automatically comes in Turkish and if I forget to change the language, Atakan yells, "NO! I don't want Turkish!" I know he understands Turkish, so my explanation is that the voices are obviously different and Mickey Mouse is just not the same with the same voice.

Atakan's other favorite thing is music. He wakes up every morning, and if they are not in the living room already, drags out his guitars and drums. He runs back and forth playing and jamming. (Oh, and when Handy Manny comes on we have to get his tool box out. To which he tells me everytime, "My lellow one is in Merica," Because we forgot his yellow screwdriver, Phillipe, in America.) Today we spent a good long time watching videos on YouTube from the musical American Idiot. He was jamming on his drums (we lost one drum stick so he found a wooden spoon and uses the handle for his second drumstick) and engrossed in the music. He even knows how to run and slide with his guitar and yells, "I'm a RockStar!" It's funny to see the difference between the kids. Ilkan will try to hold the guitar and play, but for some reason it is like Atakan is a natural. (Ilkan is our natural athlete who seems to be able to pick up any sport.)

No comments: