Saturday, January 13, 2007

First Foods


Ilkan has made big changes since we returned to Turkey. Immediately when we arrived in Adana on Wednesday we went to the doctor. He did have a cold and so we wanted to be sure it was completely gone and nothing was left rattling in his lungs. The good news was that he is just fine and he mostly fought it off on his own with some down home remedies and a little bit of Robitussin for infants, but no antibiotics which they give too many of in Turkey. He is now 68 cm or 26 1/2 inches long and weighs 7.3 kg or 16 lbs. The doctor said we could start him on fruits. We went to the store on Thursday night as there was nothing in our house, normal since we were only gone for 6 weeks. We bought some organic baby foods, all of which are mixed here. I know in the states they say to introduce one food at a time, but it is just not possible here. First of all, there is not nearly as much to choose from. I guess most people just make their own. Anyway, we gave him a peaches and bananas mixture last night. Of course he didn't eat very much, but at least it is a start. I gave him some this morning too. The jars are really big and you only have like a day or two before they go bad, so I figure what's it going to hurt to have him taste it twice a day. Here you can see his reaction to the first taste. I'll have more for you again tomorrow, or tonight depending on if we sleep or not!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Ilkan is over his cold.The babies are growing too fast! Next thing I know they'll be walking. It's fun that he's starting to eat foods now. I always wonder if they will like peas. Hope you get caught up on your rest soon. That has to be hard.

Matt said...

Don't feel bad Ilkan, I still make that face when facing down my enemy fruits and vegetables.

- Uncle Matt