So, we've had a small turtle named Maggie for the last 15 months or so and she is still alive. The fact that I've managed to keep this animal alive this long is pretty amazing in itself. Yes, I grew up on a farm and we raised animals and had a garden but for some reason I kill pretty much every plant that I get or any flowers that I plant. But, back to Maggie. I guess a little turtle is a pretty resilient animal as well so it shouldn't be too surprising, but lately she has me worried. You see, I've kind of gotten used to her on the counter near my sink, her permanent spot in our house. Plus, I've just gotten used to touching her. Every time we used to clean her bowl I used to scream for Ilkan to come to pick her up and take her out and put her back in. The thought of touching her grossed me out! Back to the kitchen, I think she likes the sun that comes from the windows and that may be the thing that is keeping her warm enough to survive the winters. For some reason, though, she doesn't eat like she did in the summer. Maybe it's the temperature difference and maybe this is exactly how it was last winter and I've just forgotten, but in the summer we were giving her 2 little food things and she was still trying to climb up the side of her bowl to get more. It was like she couldn't get enough. Now, she maybe eats 1 every 2 days and I'm not sure if she eats that or it just melts away into the water and I can't tell. I sure hope I'm not killing this animal! Oh, and the other day I left the house for a bit and came back to find out from my cleaning girl that Maggie had managed to climb her way out of the bowl for the first time ever and was about to fall off of the counter top before Ayse rescued her with a piece of cardboard, you see she wasn't touching the turtle either. Maybe Maggie the turtle was trying to commit suicide!!!! I am not letting her rocks pile up on one side of the bowl anymore and we have had no more successful escape attempts! I can just see myself in the middle of the night going to the kitchen to get something and stepping on a turtle! AAAAAAAHHHHHH!! Any of you had one of these turtles before? Is this normal for them to not eat much in the winter?
Wednesday, January 04, 2012
Turtle Trouble
So, we've had a small turtle named Maggie for the last 15 months or so and she is still alive. The fact that I've managed to keep this animal alive this long is pretty amazing in itself. Yes, I grew up on a farm and we raised animals and had a garden but for some reason I kill pretty much every plant that I get or any flowers that I plant. But, back to Maggie. I guess a little turtle is a pretty resilient animal as well so it shouldn't be too surprising, but lately she has me worried. You see, I've kind of gotten used to her on the counter near my sink, her permanent spot in our house. Plus, I've just gotten used to touching her. Every time we used to clean her bowl I used to scream for Ilkan to come to pick her up and take her out and put her back in. The thought of touching her grossed me out! Back to the kitchen, I think she likes the sun that comes from the windows and that may be the thing that is keeping her warm enough to survive the winters. For some reason, though, she doesn't eat like she did in the summer. Maybe it's the temperature difference and maybe this is exactly how it was last winter and I've just forgotten, but in the summer we were giving her 2 little food things and she was still trying to climb up the side of her bowl to get more. It was like she couldn't get enough. Now, she maybe eats 1 every 2 days and I'm not sure if she eats that or it just melts away into the water and I can't tell. I sure hope I'm not killing this animal! Oh, and the other day I left the house for a bit and came back to find out from my cleaning girl that Maggie had managed to climb her way out of the bowl for the first time ever and was about to fall off of the counter top before Ayse rescued her with a piece of cardboard, you see she wasn't touching the turtle either. Maybe Maggie the turtle was trying to commit suicide!!!! I am not letting her rocks pile up on one side of the bowl anymore and we have had no more successful escape attempts! I can just see myself in the middle of the night going to the kitchen to get something and stepping on a turtle! AAAAAAAHHHHHH!! Any of you had one of these turtles before? Is this normal for them to not eat much in the winter?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
LOL, funny story Nichole. I can't remember any lambs, pigs, or cows dying because of you!
Post a Comment