Friday, February 02, 2007

Busy Week



I know, it's been a long time since I have updated, but it really has been a busy week. On Sunday night we were at Kaan's parents for dinner. We took this picture of Meltem pretending to be a horse and Ilkan riding on her back. I also have a pretty funny video of this that I'll try to post later. On Tuesday, Ilkan and I went to one of Kaan's aunt's home for the day. The ladies here in Turkey regularly get together for something called a "gun" meaning "day." It is just a time for them to sit around, eat, and gossip. So, we now participate to get out of the house. On Wednesday we went to another "gun" at a family friend's home, Raziye. She is my self-proclaimed Turkish mom, but I really love her. Her daughter, Gulcin, was also home from college and speaks English really well so it was nice to sit and visit with her. Yesterday Kaan's mom came over. We went to the pazar and cooked food. In Turkey there are many pazars, actually the English word is bazarre. They pop up in different places on different days of the week. Local farmers come with their fruits and vegetables, vendors come selling clothes, toys, and different odds and ends. It's kind of like a farmer's market. So, yesterday we walked to a pazar that is "close" to our house. Now, when I heard it was close I was thinking like a 10 minute walk, but this was like a mile away. It is ok though because Ilkan enjoys the time out, riding in his stroller, and the stroller doubles for a good shopping cart. Today we are off to another "gun," this time at Meral's home, another family friend. I'll update more over the weekend, well maybe not until Sunday because tomorrow I am having some relatives over for dinner, a total of 12 people, so I think I'll be a little busy. Talk to you soon!

No comments: